Truth. Fake News. The First Amendment. How did it all start? In a courtroom in New York 41 years BEFORE the Declaration of Independence was signed and 56 years BEFORE the Bill of Rights became law…
“The Birth of the First Amendment” is designed to engage youth with information and tools to think critically, communicate responsibly, and participate as active citizens in our democracy.
The Birth of The First Amendment is NOT just another history book.
The superheroes, drama and suspense of this graphic novel are a new take on education that speaks directly to middle, high school and college young leaders whose voices are resounding throughout this country.
- BOTFA TEACHES: BOTFA tells the story of that one moment when Hamilton lit that first spark of freedom with the words, “Everyone should have the right to speak and write the truth.”
- BOTFA EMPOWERS: This story is even more important and relevant for young people today who need understand the rights and responsibilities of the First Amendment.
- BOTFA CONNECTS: This graphic novel is all about celebrating the importance of connecting and renewing a spirit of citizenship and to help students fight for their rights to speak and write the truth and tell the stories of their communities.
THERE IS A REAL REASON THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS AT THE TOP OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS. . .
What does BOTFA mean for young people today? Find more information in the special Back Matter section:
- CHECK OUT the “Journalism by the Numbers” section that explains the importance of Freedom of the Press
- FIND OUT how the First Amendment became at the top of the Bill of Rights and key events and trials that have shaped our country’s laws
- BE INSPIRED by stories of First Amendment superheroes and New Voices who are speaking their truth